Efficacy and Benefits of Corn (Zea Mays)
Corn plant description:
This type of grass plant is a seasonal plant. Cluster habitus, erect, height of about 1.5 meters. Massive round stem, unbranched, base point is rooted stem, yellow or orange. Single leaf, midrib, round shape, pointed tip, flat edge, length about 35 – 100cm, width 3 – 12cm, green color. Compound interest, single home, male and female flowers, grain shape, located at the end of the stem and in the armpits of leaves, purple stamens, egg round fruit, white color. Fruit shape of cob, length 8 – 20cm, yellowish green color. Round seeds are yellow or white. Root fibers, dirty white color.
Corn is from America. These foods are grown on dry areas from lowlands up to 2000 m above sea level.
Parts used: the whole plant is nutritious medicine, from seeds, hair, cobs, roots to leaves. Kidney stone disease can be overcome with corncob stew drink every day, of course in a long term. The old corn seeds roast until cracked and crunchy eaten every day is useful for pregnant women as a facilitator of the release of breast milk.
- Hair: Saponins, tannins, flavones, essential oils, fatty oils, alantoin, and bitter substances, potassium nitrate, vitamin K, alpha-tocopherol quinone, B-sitosterol, stigmasterol, yushushu acid and volatile alkaloids.
- Flowers: stigmasterol
- Seeds: sugar, zeaxanthin, protein, maizenic acid, hexaphosphate acid, vitamin B1, B2, B6. Alkaloids, saponins, flavonoids, and polyphenols.
- Corn oil: linoleic acid 50%, oleic acid 37%, palmitic acid 10%, and stearic acid 3%.
Nutrition and Phytonutrients:
- Fatty acids
- Beta Carotene (Pro vitamin A), Vitamin B1, B2, niacin, and folic acid.
- Mineral iron, magnesium, potassium / potassium, potassium, phosphorus, and potassium.
Benefits: Build muscle and bone. Good for the brain and nervous system. Prevent constipation. Reduce the risk of cancer and heart. Cut into cavities.
Benefits: hair and cob are useful to overcome kidney infections, inflammation of the kidney, kidney stones, urinary tract infections, overcoming difficult urination, and swelling, both for people with diabetes, gall stones, inflammation of bile and hepatitis. Seed nutritious to multiply breast milk, kidney stone drugs, puerperal fever medicine, heart medications and exuviate urine .
Content and Benefits:
- Potassium in hair and young cobs: diuretic
- Thiamin: dry the wound (like chicken pox wound)
- Phosphorus: good for bones and teeth
Parts used: Corn hair, cobs, roots and leaves.
- Caster: 25 – 30 grams fresh or 9 – 12 grams dried, boiled and drunk the decoction
- Hair: 50 – 150 gr, boiled and drink the stew
- Cob and hairs baked or baked into powder
- Leaf: brewed as tea.
- Root: 60 -240 gr baked.
- Hair is smoked.
- Corncobs were burnt to ashes and put in sick places.
Potions and measures:
- Expedite breast milk: some old corn kernels roasted until cracked and crisp then eaten or eating corn on the cob.
- Gallstones: 5 young corn cobs + boiled hair with 1 liter of water remaining ½ liters, strain for 3 drinks 3 times a day.
- Kidney stones: 4 young corn cobs + 1 handful corn hair, boiled with 1 liter of remaining water ½ liter, strain then divide into 3 glasses drink 3 times a day continue for 14 days.
- Inflammation of the kidneys: 15 young corn cobs + boiled hair with 3 cups water remaining 2 ¼ cup cold water. Drink the water 3x a day ¾ cup and eat the corn on the meal
- Inflammation and kidney stones: the leaves of corn drink as tea
- Corn improves kidney work, so many urines is formed
- Already patented in the form of tablets and extract liquid corn hair
Sukesri Hardianto, 1989. Faculty of Pharmacy UGM. Advisor: Dr. Ediati S. Apt. and DR. Sasmito.
Has done research the influence of young corn cob infusion on the solubility of calcium kidney stone invitro. From the results of these studies, it turns out:
- There is influence between the infusion level and the dissolved potassium content in the solution
- Calcium kidney stones have the greatest solubility in young corn cob infusion with 5% concentration. At higher levels of infusion its solubility decreases.