This post is also available in: Indonesian
Efficacy and Benefits of Pomegranate (Punica Granatum)
Pomegranate plant description:
Pomegranate is a native Persian and Himalayan plant in southern India (middle east), spread across Indonesia. High shrub plants 2-5 meters. Stems woody, round, branched, young stems are brown, after old dirty green. Single leaf, lanceolate shape, length 1-8 cm, width 5-15 mm, bony pinnate, green color. Single flower at the end of the branch, crown rounded in red or yellow. Single fruit, round, 5-12 cm diameter, yellowish green color.
The pomegranate is thick-skinned and the inside is a thin membrane that tastes bitter and sour. Inside are triangular and irregular seeds. Each seed has a layer consisting of fleshy meat containing a clear color liquid (outer seed skin) that taste sweet or sour sweet
Parts used: fruit peel and fruit
- Fruit skin: alkaloids, triterpenoids, glucosides, estrons, mucus, tannins, granatin, betulinic acid, ursolic acid, isoquercitrin, ellagitannin, resin, calcium, oxalate and starch.
- Leaves: alkaloids, tannins, calcium oxalate, fat, sulfur, peroxidase.
- Fruit: tannins, carbohydrates, maleic acid, citric acid, protein, Vitamin C, fat etc.
- Fruit juice: citric acid, malic acid, glucose, fructose, maltose, Vitamin A and C, minerals (calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, sodium and potassium), and tannins.
Pharmacological effects and research results:
- Root skin: exuviate intestinal worms
- Fruit skin: inhibits the growth of typhoid bacilli, controlling the spread of infection, polio virus, herpes simplex virus, HIV virus
- Pelletierine alkaloids: highly toxic and paralyzed tapeworms, roundworms, and pinworms then release their grip from the intestinal wall, thus carrying along with feces out of the body
- Flavonoids (class polyphenols): it feels rough, antioxidants (against cancer cells)
- Malic acid: expedite carbohydrate metabolism
- Potassium: prevents hypertension, helps activate enzyme reactions.
- Tannin: astringent (i.e. shrinks the intestinal lining membrane so that diarrhea discharge is reduced). Active against bacteria and viruses cause smallpox, as well as anti-diabetes, prevent heart disease and high blood
- Phytosterol: lowers cholesterol, prevents heart disease, prevents cancer, establishes skin permeability. Maintains skin moisture, promotes skin metabolism, prevents inflammation of the skin, prevents skin penetration. Helps promote hair growth, antioxidants, maintains blood sugar balance.
- Polyphenols (in a glass of pomegranate juice): crippling cancer cells, restoring artery walls from the hardening process. The seeds also contain polyphenols, making the pomegranate juice better with the seeds.
How to use:
- Internal use:
- boiled root bark or dry bark 7 gr
- boil the fruit skin 10-15gr
- Eat fruit or juice made 1 fruit, can be mixed with carrot juice
- Boil the skin of the fruit or root skin, after cold use the water to gargle on gum inflammation, sore throat, wound scalding or foot fungus infections.
- Spray to the vagina on the vaginal discharge.
- Use pomegranate juice for mouth rinses on thrush, gingivitis, cavities,
- Use as a compress remedy on inflamed hemorrhoids
- A long-lasting cough: 1 pomegranate that is not yet ripe. Every night before bed, chew the contents of the pomegranate, remove the seeds.
- Worms: Boil dried pomegranate skin + betel nut powder 15gr each with 3 glasses clean water boil slowly for 1 hour. Let it cold and then filter, drink altogether before breakfast.
- Dysentery: 5g fresh white pomegranate + 2 fingers tilap + 6g fresh guava leaves. Boil with 110ml water, drink 1x daily 100ml, repeat for 7 days
- Whitish: 5g fresh pomegranate skin + 6g fresh beluntas leaves + 5g herb tread liman + 1g pack. Boil with 110ml water, drink 1x a day, repeat for 7 days
- Impotence: 2 pomegranates + 15g seeds chives + 15g pepper seeds + 2 tsp fennel powder + 2 tsp pulosari powder + a little salt and sugar. Boil with 2 glasses of water until thickened. Drink in cold state.
- Lose weight: 2 raw pomegranates take the contents, finely mashed + ½ cup cooking water and a little salt, squeeze until blended, strain with cloth, drink as well as do every day until the results appear.
- In Indonesia pomegranate is grouped into 3 types: white, pomegranate, and black pomegranate. Red pomegranate taste more sweet and fresh. White pomegranate feels sepat and less sweet but widely used as medicine. Black pomegranate is very rare, but supposedly better than white pomegranate
- Tannin: causes nausea and vomiting
- Alkaloids are tannate: cause mild toxic symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo, blurred vision, weakness and cramps in the lower limbs, trembling, etc. Use in high doses: cause dilated pupils, narrowed vision, headache, vertigo, nausea, diarrhea, severe weakness, sometimes seizures.
- The use of fruit skin and tree bark for treatment should be done under the supervision of an expert
- Ancient people have pomegranate symbol of fertility
- Based on Dr.A.O. Prakas that the skin of pomegranates can prevent 70-90% of pregnancy or reduce fertility. So, watch out for pregnant women
- Pregnant women and children should not consume these fruit
- Preferably before drinking fast 12 hours
- Because there is a toxic content mainly found in bark and root bark, treatment should be done under the supervision of an experienced herbalist.
- Benny Hartanto, J.R. Wattimena, and Elin Yulinah
Department of Pharmacy, FMIPA ITB.
Research on the effects of white pomegranate skin as an anti-diarrhea drug in marmot. The result was able to prevent diarrhea, caused by castor oil, and have anti-bacterial effects against E-coli, shigella disentriae, and salmonella paratypha
- Sri Indrarini, 1991.
Department of Pharmacy, FMIPA UNPAD.
Supervisor: Drs. Zaenal Alim and Dra. MarlineAbdassah, M.S
Conducting research of anti-microbial power of pomegranate skin against candida albicans, E-coli
- Elita Rahmah, 1991.
Department of Pharmacy, FMIPA USU
Doing research of anthelmintic effect of bark of white pomegranate and papaya leaf extract, and efficacious
Table composition Nutrition per 100 grams of pomegranate
Nutrition Content Nutrition Value
Water 80.97 g
Energy 68 kcal
Protein 0.95 g
Fat 0.3 g
Carbohydrate 17.17 g
Food fiber 0.6 g
Calcium 3 mg
Iron 0.3 mg
Magnesium 3 mg
Phosphorus 8 mg
Potassium 259 mg
Sodium 3 mg
Zinc 0.12 mg
Copper 0.07 mg
Selenium 0.6 mg
Vitamin C 6.1 mg
Thiamine 0.03 mg
Riboflavin 0.03 mg
Niacin 0.3 mg
Pantothenic acid 0.596 mg
Vitamin B6 0.105 mg
Folic acid 6 mkg
Vitamin A 170 IU
Phytosterol 17 mg
This post is also available in: Indonesian