This post is also available in: Indonesian
Efficacy n Benefits of Apple (Malus Domestica)
Apple plant description:
Apples are not native plant of Indonesia, but the fruit is very popular by our society. Generally consumed as fresh fruit. Apples are deciduous trees and can reach a height of 5 meters. The fruit is round with a diameter of 60-100mm, the outside is red, yellow or pale green with a waxy coating. The pulp is thick and contains lots of juice, it can be crispy or soft and starchy with a sweet smell and sweet taste. In the middle there are many seeds, it has sweet taste slightly acidic, the nature is not hot or cold, and without toxic.
Habitus bush, 3-5 m high. Woody stem, rounded branched, whiteish green. Single, oval, the tip and the end of the leaves are pointed, jagged edges, feathered, on the tip of the branch at 3-15cm long, 2-6cm wide, green pinnate repeats. Compound flowers, the shape of panicles on the tip of the branch, the furry green petals split into five, have many stamens of white yellowish brownish head, with one yellowish white pistil. Fruit rounded end and base of grooved, purplish green. Flattened little seeds brown blackish. The roots are white-browned.
Apples are rich in vitamins and minerals, and many contain nutrients, energy, fats, proteins, carbohydrates, Vitamin A, Thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, carotene, pectin, boron, tannin, flavonoid, ellagic acid, caffeine acid, glutathione, chlorogenic acid.
Chemical content & pharmacological effects:
- Rich in vitamins: Some of the vitamins contained in apples, such as vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin B9, Vitamin C
- Rich in minerals: Minerals in apples include calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and zinc.
- Phytochemicals: Phytochemicals are antioxidants to fight free radicals from pollution or the environment. This substance also serves to suppress the amount of bad cholesterol (LDL) that can cause blockage of blood vessels.
- Rich in Fiber: Good for people who are on a diet program. This is because the fiber is so high that it prevents hunger coming faster. Fiber to reduce fat and cholesterol. Apple contains fiber that is useful to bind fat and bad cholesterol in the body to be removed.
- Tannins: Tannin is a substance that works to clean and refresh the mouth, so it can prevent tooth decay and gum disease, preventing tooth decay, gum and plaque
- Boron: What is boron? Boron serves to maintain the amount of estrogen in a woman’s body, helps maintain estrogen levels in the body of women during menopause, reduces pain, depression, heart disease and osteoporosis
- Flavonoid: One of the good content of apple to prevent disease is flavonoid. Flavonoid is a substance that serves to reduce the risk of cancer.
- D-glucaric acid: What is D-glucaric acid? D-glucaric acid is a substance that can lower cholesterol levels.
- Quercetin: Quercetin is a necessary substance to increase antioxidant levels so that the body feels healthier and prevents various diseases.
- Tartar acid: Tartar acid that can nourish the digestive tract, because this substance is able to kill bacteria in the digestive tract.
Potions and Dosage:
- Internal use:
1-4 fresh apples are eaten
1-2 tbsp apple vinegar
- External use: Sufficient for masks
- Alopecia / hair loss: 1 apple + red onion 1 cloves + garlic 1 clove + carrot 100gr + celery 1 stick + water 100ml, blender all ingredients drink 2x a day.
- Hemorrhoids: 2sdm apple vinegar + 150 ml boiled water drink 3x a day after meals
- Anemia: apple 300gr + 125gr spinach + enough water, blender all, drink 1x a day.
- Antiaging / prevent premature aging: 1 apple + green grape 100gr + celery 1 stem + water 50ml, blender all drink 2x a day.
- Anti-cancer: apple 100gr + celery stalk 50gr + cauliflower 100gr + broccoli 100gr, blender all ingredients into juice drink 2x a day.
Other benefits: apple vinegar can be for salad dressings, such as pickles and seasonings. Can also be drunk like a drink of freshness, served hot / cold with or without honey, like coffee / tea.
Consume the apples with their skin are better.
Imported apples are usually coated with wax on the skin for:
- Cover the pores of the skin of the fruit to inhibit the rate of respiration, thus prolonging the shelf life
- When rubbed with a dry cloth will appear shiny, so it gives the impression clean and fresh
How to remove the wax layer:
- Dip briefly into warm water to melt the wax layer, then rub with a dry cloth until clean
- Soak in a liquid soap solution that is for food, then rub it clean
Tips on how to make various processed apples for medicine:
- Apples dried powder: raw apple fruit, cut into square and dry under the sun, after dry, rolled until become flour and sifted.
- Apple tonic: 1 kg of fresh apples, remove the skin, take the middle and cut into small pieces. Add ½ kg of honey and a little water, steam in a sealed container until tender. This tonic can be stored and used at any time.
- Apple vinegar: wash ripe apple fruit n cut thin, boil into a pan of water, after it boiling put the fire down, then input the sugar into it let stand 30-40 minutes then lift the filter water, input into the bottle closed tight then add yeast, then close again so that the fermantation process occurs wait 1-2 weeks, then change the bottle cap with gauze to let anaerobic fermentation happen, fermentation again for 2 week so that the acid pH 3-4 the longer the better, after that do pasteurization, just ready to be consumed.
This post is also available in: Indonesian