Efficacy’s and Benefits of Spinach (Amaranthus)
Spinach is familiar vegetable. Many efficacy’s and benefits of spinach that we can take. Spinach have a high iron content and can be used to increase blood.
Shrub, straight trunk, round shape, yellowish green color. Single leaf interspersed with lanceolate shape, the flat edge of the pointed end of the base is blunt, light green to yellowish green. Inflorescence of panicle, attached to the armpit of the leaf, the petals share five, the flower crown is purplish green. Fruit round stone, shiny, blackish brown color.
Parts used: leaves and roots
Chemical content that has the efficacy’s and benefits of spinach include:
- Substances: proteins, fats, Potassium compounds, calcium, phosphorus, iron, minerals, sodium, potassium, biotin, vit E, magnesium, manganese, and aluminum, pro vit A (carotenoids), vit B1, vit C and vit K , oxalic acid, folic acid, chlorophyll and saponins.
Efficacy and benefits of spinach from the content:
- Potassium: one of efficacy’s and benefits of spinach is helps the heart work and normalizes blood pressure
- Calcium: replenish bone density, play a role in tooth formation, help blood clots, nerve transmission, muscle stimulation, blood acid stability (pH), and maintain water balance.
- Phosphorus: for healthy teeth and bones
- Iron: for the formation of red blood cells and plays a role in the central regulation of the hemoglobin molecule, red blood cells also play a role in energy metabolism, including synthetic DNA by several enzymes, and in the immune system.
- Sodium: maintain the balance of fluid in the body, and maintain and regulate osmotic pressure so that the liquid does not come out of the blood and enter the cell (in maintaining body fluid balance, sodium works with potassium), also plays a role in nerve transmission, muscle contraction , glucose absorption, and as a means of transporting nutrients through cell membranes
- Biotin: plays a role in the production and use of fats and amino acids
- Vitamin E: acts as an antioxidant that can reduce the bad effects of free radicals, the aging process, and carcinogens, also functions to maintain cell membrane integrity, synthetic DNA, prevent coronary heart disease, prevent miscarriages and sterilization, and prevent menstrual disorders.
- Vitamin C: needed to make collagen (fibrous protein that forms connective tissue in bones), fat transporter, electron transporter from various enzymatic reactions, healthy gum triggers, cholesterol level regulators. As immune system triggers, anti-oxidants, help prevent various types of cancer: lung, colon, bladder, pancreas, breast cancer, also reduce free radicals that trigger cancer. Vitamin C can also reduce the risk of cataracts, strengthen blood capillary walls, reduce the risk of heart disease, inhibit aging, renew white blood cells. Vitamin C is very sensual to form sperm. Lack of vitamin C in men can inhibit obtaining offspring, repair takes one month by increasing vitamin C by 500 mg. The quality and quantity of sperm and its activities can be increased by consuming vitamin C. In addition vitamin C can reduce the risk of passive smoking. The risk of passive smoking is cell damage that can cause cancer or other respiratory diseases.
- Magnesium: acts as a catalyst in biological reactions in the body, including reactions related to metabolism of energy, carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and nucleic acids. It also plays a role in the synthesis, degradation, and stability of DNA gene material.
- Manganese: to keep the central nervous system in order to function normally, and can help improve memory
- Pro vitamin A: Beta carotene is an anti-oxidant that maintains health and inhibits the aging process, and can also prevent and suppress cancer cell growth and protect polyunsaturated fatty acids from the oxidation process. And if the body needs vitamin A then beta carotene in the liver will be converted into vitamin A
- Vitamin A Function : can prevent night blindness, accelerate wound healing, and shorten the length of measles
- Vitamin K: plays a role in the processes that occur in the body. Through the latest research, vitamin K is known to act as an anti-aging that is more effective than vitamin E, vitamin K also plays a role in preventing serious diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, because the effect can reduce hardening of the arteries by factors such as calcium plaque deposits. Some studies also show that vitamin K plays a role in treating cancer because it has been shown to act as a poison in cancer cells, but does not harm healthy cells.
- Carotene: antioxidant, anticancer, enhances immunity
- Folic acid: plays a role in the formation of red blood cells and white blood in the spinal cord
- Chlorophyll: can promote the production of hemoglobin, and reduce its output during menstruation, chlorophyll also contains other compounds in complex chloroplasts, including carotene and vitamin K which are beneficial for health.
- Saponins: are binding and reduce cholesterol, stimulate immunity, prevent coronary heart disease, and as an anti-cancer
- Antipyretics, sudorifik, diuretics: Good for the digestive system, lowers the risk of cancer, anti diabetes, weight loss, lowers blood cholesterol, prevents anemia
Potions and Measures:
Potion that can be make from spinach that have efficacy’s and benefits of spinach
- Anemia : Spinach to taste, enough water. Juice the spinach then drink
- Anemia : 1 handful thorny amaranth, 1 chicken egg yolk, 1 tablespoon honey, 1½ cup water. Wash the thorny amaranth leaves, then mash finely give ½ cup of boiled water, squeeze / strain, add egg yolks and honey, mix well. Drink this concoction 1 glass twice a day.
- Hemorrhoid: eat boiled spinach to taste
- Bronchitis: 1 handful of fresh spinach leaf, linchen ½ tsp, Pule bark (powder) 1 tsp Water 110 ml. All ingredients are boiled with water. Drink 2 times a day, morning and evening, every time drink 100 ml. Do it for 14 days
- Low blood: 200 gr red spinach, 40 gr red onion, 10 gr chili, 5 gr palm sugar, 5 gr asam kawak, 5gr pepper, 1 tsp of salt. Steam the spinach until half cooked. While other ingredients are finely ground as chili sauce. Spinach and chili use as a daily meal menu.
- Cleanse the blood after giving birth and maintain and improve the work of the kidneys: Spinach to taste, enough water. Make clear spinach soup. Spinach is consumed in the form of clear spinach soup.
Efficacy’s and benefits of spinach are good for health but we also have to take note of this note:
- Sufficiently high uric acid sufferers and rheumatic gout are prohibited from consuming too much spinach because spinach contains quite high purine. In the body purine will be metabolosir into uric acid.
- For treatment, red spinach is considered more efficacious than green spinach.
- Due to the large amount of spinach contains oxalic acid, spinach should be boiled first for a few moments before consumption to eliminate the sour taste.
- Children should not over-consume.
- Ernawati Santoso, 1986. Faculty of Pharmacy, WIDMAN. Doing research with infusion of red spinach leaves orally to serum iron, hemoglobin, and hematocrit in rabbits made anemia. The result was 30% red spinach leaf infusion can increase serum iron, hemoglobin, and hematocrit levels significantly when compared with the group given distilled water. A significant increase in hematocrit hemoglobin levels when compared with groups treated with distilled water. Increases in hemoglobin, hematocrit levels were no different than those given ferrous sulfas.
Also read : fruit efficacy